Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Mariposas

Wednesday, June 22: Rather normal day. Today Lynn was ill, she spent most of the day in bed. I read a little about the Jesuit priests who were murdered at the University of Central America, and a little about the United States foreign policy of LIC (Low intensity conflict). This made me sleepy so then I took a long morning nap. After lunch I finished reading Ishmael and now I have to make a serious plug. It is a great, great, great book. It raises serious questions about religion, culture, society, human nature, and our future as a civilization. I highly recommend it. I decided to take a break from my homeworky reading and read a little book of Bushisms. It was pretty funny, but mostly it was scary. I decided my next novel to tackle was Ernest Hemingway’s For Whom the Bell Tolls. That was my Wednesday—see not much excitement.
Thursday, June, 23: Party! Lynn sponsored a quinceanera for two girls from her school who turned 15 this month. 15 is the official coming of age year for young women and traditionally there is a big party to celebrate. The families of the two young ladies could not afford the parties and Lynn is a birthday fanatic. I helped her lug 3 bottles of soda as well as the plates, napkins and forks up the mountain. The children at school helped decorate with streamers and balloons. They were wild with excitement. They danced and sang and yelled. There was a beautiful cake. The girls’ families came to celebrate as well; it was sweet. Everyone had a good time. We took the leftover cake home to Casa Pastoral. The team was excited about that! They spent the day (and most of the few days prior) preparing for the delegation’s arrival the next day. It rained 4 or 5 times today so I did what I do best—read all day. After dinner Paul, Lynn and I walked to La Nevaria for ice cream. We walked around the block a few times and then up a long hilly street a block from Casa Pastoral. It was a good day for exercise.
Friday, June 24: Finally! The delegation from Wakonda Christian Church in Des Moines arrived a little after 10 this morning. They came bearing gifts from my mom (stuff I forgot to bring the first time or have discovered a need for since). The presence of the delegation has really helped my Spanish. I have a little less fear and thus I talked to some of the Pastoral Team all by myself and I think they understood me. It was a shining moment. We went to the post office to mail some letters and it had closed. The postman lives rather far from Berlin and so he often leaves a bit before 4 when it officially closes. As we were walking away, he drove up in his truck and invited us back to take our letters. So hooray our letters were sent. The delegation had a little meeting with the Pastoral Team in the evening. I sat in to see the team in action. Everyone introduced themselves (even me!). The delegation asked great questions so I have good notes already to aid in my project. Today was Rosa’s 81st birthday. Rosa is Milagro’s mother. She has been living at Casa Pastoral since surgery a little while back. Today she was happy and talkative and just adorable. Lynn and I made a card and presented her with a necklace. She was delighted! I had to scurry off to the meeting but I would have stayed and chatted all night. It was so fun.
Saturday, June 25: I traveled up the mountain with the delegation to Las Delicias, the canton Wakonda Christian Church is partnered with. They sponsored a rainwater collection project and visited the canton to see how it was going. There was a long religious service with the community followed by a meeting with the water project committee. This meeting was interrupted by heavy rain falling on the tin roof of the church. After the meeting we walked in the rain to a house where lunch was served. I sure love my rain jacket! We climbed back in the pickup (13 of us) for the bumpy ride down the mountain and then back up a different road. Bob wanted the delegation to see the water project at another canton as well as some of the solar panel projects. We arrived back to Casa Pastoral bruised and battered. I was so sore and tired from trying to keep myself from smashing into the bars in the truck that I went to bed at 8:30 this evening.
Sunday, June 26: Business opportunities. Some of the women of the delegation got very excited about the bags made by members of the Pastoral Team. We found out that Blanca and 3 or 4 other women are going to start making crocheted bags as well as their own style of patchwork style bags. These provide income for the members of the Pastoral Team who do not receive salaries or any personal monetary compensation for the good work that they do. This income helps the families of those who make the bags and of course, they share everything with the whole team. It really benefits everyone. These new projects are set to begin next week after Bob brings them some materials. He is going to Guatemala this weekend to buy fabric and lucky me, I get to help pick it out! There was a “celebration of the word” this morning led by Jesus and Miguel. Blanca, Mari, Maria Elena and Milagro sang. The reflection—the sermon—was extremely powerful. Jesus spoke about the realities of life in here and how the governments of El Salvador and the United States refuse to see those realities. It was an important message to hear. In the afternoon I accompanied the delegation to the coffee finca where Don Justo coffee is grown and picked. I learned that Don Justo coffee is certified organic and that although it is not certified with Fair Trade, Fair Trade told them that the coffee meets and exceeds all of the requirements to be certified. Lynn and I went on a long walk before dinner. We walked outside of Berlin for about 30 minutes and then back to some picturesque look-out spots close to Casa Pastoral. We were out for over an hour; another good day for exercise. Towards the end of dinner the power went out. After the dishes were done I joined the delegation for their evening reflection time. They talked about an article from the Des Moines Register about the “worries of the wealthy.” I mentioned that I thought it was great that they were having that conversation by candlelight and gave my little speech (see previous post) about candlelight and reflection. They asked about the events of the next day which included a visit to El Mozote, the site of a 1000 person massacre during the war. I gave a little bit of the story as I learned it in Danner’s book. After the reflection service the youth of the trip, three 15 year olds—Abby, Maggie and Joe—asked me about the war. I gave them a little background on that. Then we talked about what they had seen since being here. I was so pleased when they brought up the fact that everyone seems much happier here than at home in the United States. They mentioned the young children who sat quietly and attentively without toys, coloring books or video games at the long church service in the canton. Randy—the leader of the delegation—and Paul joined in the conversation as well. It really was a great evening. It gave me hope. When the power came on during our discussion we decided to turn the lights off and continue our candlelight conversation. Good day.
Monday, June 27: After breakfast we boarded the bus/van and began our journey to El Mozote. It was a long drive but of course scenic. We passed the military base named after Monterrosa, the general who ordered the massacre at El Mozote and many others. Bob told some pretty gruesome tales about this man’s cruelty. As the bus/van passed signs pointing to El Mozote I felt a lump develop in my throat. It was hard to swallow—literally and figuratively. When we came to a stop we appeared to be in any village around El Salvador. The monument in the center of the town is surrounded by a pupuseria called “Fe y Esperanza” (faith and hope), as well as a rebuilt church, a community washing pila and refreshment stand. It was almost strange that people could live here. A young girl—she told us she was nine—followed us around while we toured the village. I found it interesting; she was quite the business woman. The monument shows a man, woman, girl and boy holding hands in front of a list of the names of those murdered. Blanca and Cecilia led a short reflection service around the memorial monument for the children who were massacred. Blanca spoke about children around the world who starve everyday and those who don’t even know about it. She spoke about a responsibility we all have to help our fellow humans who are suffering. It was profound and beautiful. My emotions were finally released when we all held hands around the small monument and said the Lord’s Prayer in our respective languages. Hearing the two languages together really spoke to the solidarity of the work done by the Pastoral Team. It was a prayer but I heard it not as a religious plea but as a joining of the people of two very different countries in dedication to a common goal. It was a very powerful experience for me. During the reflection a small blue mariposa (butterfly) landed on the stone monument. It flapped its wings open and shut. Soon other butterflies of many colors and shapes started flying around the flowers planted at the memorial site. They were signs of hope. After El Mozote we went to lunch at a nice resort restaurant. I found it somewhat unsettling to go from such a profound experience to a life of relative luxury, but I suppose there was no other way. We learned that apparently the cost of living is to go up this week in El Salvador. The price of electricity is going to rise about 3% and grocery stores have been given permission to raise their prices on food without regulation. This is scary. We also learned that the government of El Salvador is considering requiring those Salvadorans who live in homes that are basically shacks to pay property taxes. It really is disgusting. I got a bit fired up and started noting some ideas for making a presentation back in Iowa in December. I hope I don’t lose the excitement. After lunch we went to the National War Museum in Perquin. It features the remains of the helicopter that exploded killing Monterrosa and several other military officials, one site and some of the materials used to broadcast radio programs, FMLN weaponry and other combat gear, posters of support from many countries, and a crater made by a U.S. made bomb. This was definitely a day of important journeys. But also, a day of hope and butterflies.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still 16 hours and counting! Guess what 3 movies I managed to procure!!!

See you very soon!
k
That sounded like an incredible experience at El Mozote! Magical with mariposas!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ashley its Abby! from Wakonda Christian Church! yeah I have to say that the lords prayer in the two languages was definatly a moving experience for me too. I also remember that blue butterfly on the monument. I have enjoyed reading your blog, I think your a very sophisticated person and I really enjoyed and appretiated when you talked to us that night the power went out. Have fun in El Salvador! and best of luck with your work!
Tell everyone hello please! Thank you!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Hi Abby!
I am glad you enjoy my blog. I am also glad that presumably you made it home safely, and I hope everyone else did too! It was nice meeting all of you and sharing in your amazing experiences. Tell your friends and family about it all! Make them listen! Peace~ ap

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, i got a little choked up just reading about your experience. i cant imagine what it would be like to actually be there. I deffinatly think that the butterflies were symbolic for something. good eye. I think your blog is really getting through to people. Chelsea has read it, and she is reading "the life of Pi" now. i would read the books you reccomend, but mom already has a list for me this summer(yuck) i would much rather sit in my room on your computer and play the sims2 for 4 hours just like i did yesterday! i felt bad about it today though, and im doing some better work today. im playing trumpet at church every sunday now, so i have to keep practicing. im practicing for marching band too. man im going to have a "fun" year in band. I bet your legs are getting strong with all that walking. you are going to come home BUFF! ok well im glad that you have this blog so we know what all you are doing everyday. its cool. love you-caitlin

4:11 PM  
Blogger Chelsea Joy said...

Hey Ashley this is Chelsea, Caitlin's friend. First off I'd like to say that you are a seriously talented writer. The things you talk about are inspiring and amazing. My dad went on a three year missions trip to Africa and I wished that he would have kept a journal so I could read about his trip. All these years later he still talks about how much his time in Africa changed his life and I hope that your trip has just as much impact on your life. And as Caitlin said, I am reading the Life of Pi because I was looking for a book to read and then I read your blog and decide to read it. It's really good. You were right. Well anyways you have an awesome little sister. I'll keep her company while you're away. :) God bless and be safe. -Chelsea

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home